Veracruz is loaded with restaurants. Many are owner-operated by superb cooks, and you'll want to visit many to sample the food and share secrets.
Veracruz is one of the world's safest cities and so you get to got to tiny restaurants on side streets and back in the old neighborhoods, all well away from the tourist spots.
Spam guard is a problem. If our reply isn't in your inbox promptly,
please look in your spam or email us again.
Our U.S. number is (415) 939-4388. This is a San Francisco number that rings right through to us in
The School's Mexico Address
The Language Immersion School
Calle Alacio Pérez #61
Col. R. Flores Magón
Veracruz, Ver. Mexico
Within Mexico (229) 931-4716,
Within Mexico Cellular (229) 207-1929
Be sure to remember that Mexican Cooking is a big reason to come down, but we hope you'll participate in
all the things we're doing. The fuller you stay at the school, the better your Spanish will be.
And the more fun your stay, the more fun you have serving Mexican to family and friends back at home.
Veracruz and Mexico Food Notes
It's Not What It Looks to Be [Mexico]
From a distance, the meat on the vertical spit resembles the meat for a Gyro. But closer, you see that it's the wrong color for a Gyro, and even more it's the wrong kind of meat.
But it's just the right color and the right meat for Tacos al Pastor. The color is red-orange. It's a blend of meat red and orange juice orange. The marinade is made of many ingredients, but by volume, orange juice wins hands down.
A "pastor chef" taught us the recipe when we were freezing up in Pachuca Mexico. We'd love to share it with you. They are one of our favorite tastes in Mexico.
Dishes from Traditional Mexican Families to Your Family
- Learn to Prepare Breakfast, the Midday Meal, Dinner, and Snacks
- Work side by side with housewives and mothers as they prepare the wonderful foods of Mexico. Learn standard dishes and regional specialites. Shop in the old central market, but be sure to choose meats at modern supermarkets. Pick up some fruits and veggies at the sidewalk stand down the street or from the donkey cart passing by.
- Real Cooking and Really Good Eating
- Enjoy the appreciation of those of us testing you success. There's nothing pretend about these lessons. Cook in our kitchen as we savor the aromas and gather in happy anticipation.
- Spanish and Flan or Red Sauce or Fish Veracruz Style
- And all of happens in laughter-filled Spanish. Senora Mari, bright as can be and loving to share, doesn't speak English. Cooking is universal and the words and ideas, just like your delicious meals, fall right into place.
- College Credit and CEUs
- College credit is available through Pima Community
College in Tucson (phouston@edu).
- CEUs and college credits through other schools are also available.
- Remember our Mix and Match
- You can pick and choose from all our programs. Maybe you'd like to visit some businesses, or go scuba diving (buceo in Spanish) or snorkeling. A day rafting or
birding would be great. There's more to do than time permits.
- A glance through the other program pages will show you the many choices you have.
- To get a closer look at the providers of the eco-tourism and adventure with whom we're
associated please take a look at www.mexico-ecotourism.org. It's a group of locally-owned,
small businesses sharing the beauty and wonder of their communities and the excitment
of their adventure activities.
There Is No Food Cost
- You're learning the secrets of Mexican Cooking from our kitchen staff as they prepares the day's meals and treats. There are no additional food or supply costs.
- If your stay is short, we'll work together to alter the school's menu to accomodate the speciatlies you most want to learn to prepare.
- Of course if you want a "day off" to travel, Senora Elia will understand. She loves Mexico, its food, and its people as much as you will.
- Classroom instruction in Spanish, of course, remains included, and any day you'd prefer to be joining an Out-and-About Lab instead of working on your cooking skills, that absolutely fine.
|FREETIME ACTIVITIES--Everywhere is the Right Place to Speak Spanish.
|scuba diving the coral reefs
snorkeling the coral reefs
swimming in the Gulf
mountain and glacier climbing
|visiting archaeological ruins
visiting out of the way places
boating on the Gulf of Mexico
deep sea fishing
road and mountain biking